Wednesday 17 August 2011

The Cushion Thing



One of the most important elements in the rooms I put together for people is the array of beautiful, unique cushions I compile and have custom made for their sofas, armchairs, beds etc.  Usually these cushions are made in the most exquisite fabrics which are either imported, hand embroidered or made out of vintage materials or trimmed with fabulous braid or rouche.

The downside of these beautiful cushions is that they tend to be quite expensive.  Sometimes I prepare my clients for the cushion price prior to sending them their quote but sometimes I forget and there has certainly been times when I get the call in which I am asked - 'What's with the cushions?  Did you make a typing error when you wrote the price...?'

During the week we had a lovely young woman into the shop and I was thrilled to hear that she was back to purchase some of our beautiful cushions to add to her collection.  Apparently a few years ago we had made a set of our cushions for her which she absolutely adores.  She was telling one of the girls in the shop that most of her friends have been through 3-4 rounds of inexpensive, ready-made cushions since she purchased her set from us and yet her unique collection still sits proudly on her sofa loved and cherished. 

So, even if you can't afford to purchase them all up-front I suggest starting with a couple and then adding to them over time.  That way you will end up with the most gorgeous, unique collection of cushions which you will love and adore for many years to come...

Or you could be like one of my clients who comes into the shop every week and pretty much takes home a cushion a week!!  With Spring almost on our doorstep it is the perfect time to add some beautiful cushions to your sofa.  They will be like a breath of fresh air!!

xx
Anna

image - polly wreford

16 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Cushions, oh they make my heart sing too, they make a room, a safe place to experiment with colour, mood & a whole tonne of fun, love Posie

Los tesoros de mitati said...

oh sorry for my english I love them I would like to have that sofa with all those cushions wonderful

Glamour Drops said...

And like most things in life, in the long run it's cheaper to get the dearer ones in the first place, when they are better made and made to last.

spiral style said...

Gorgeous. I can't live without colorful cushions and I change them with the seasons. I "pinned" that gorgeous photo to my pinterest boards.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,

Is that client who buys a cushion a week from your dreamy store Faux Fuchsia by any chance??? "Under cushioning being the devils work and all that". I bet it is :)

You are so right about quality. It always wins in the end.

Kellie :)

Karena said...

I adore gorgeous cushions/ pillows of all kinds. Embroidery and embellishment make them all the better.

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

pve design said...

I think I need some cheery cushions!
pve

Sylvia Dziuba said...

My good friend's Grandma used to say:

- Sweetie, you can't afford to buy cheap

So True!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

I agree with you... pillows do change and add so much to a room. The ideal would be changing your pillows every season of the year.
Easy and can be very affordable, especially if you do it yourself! ;-)

Have a great day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Unknown said...

The pop that a new pillow (what we call them in the states) gives a room is certainly worth the investment! I just have a hard time pulling the trigger with my card sometimes!

Chimmy said...

cushions are my favorite room accessory!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I loved this feature in Red Magazine - inspired me so much! I am a pillow addict so I guess it's no surprise!

annie@mostlovelythings said...

Anna,

You have made me look at cushions in an entirely new way ever since I started reading your blog. First of all, they are so important and yes expensive, but it's like buying a beautiful bed, putting on linens and leaving off the pillows. You have to have cushions/pillows.

I have started "collecting" as you say and also going back to ones I could never part with but never used and enjoying the mix of patterns and fabrics. The other day I came across two new Jonathan Adler needlepoint covers that I purchased at a warehouse sale in SoHo years ago. The colors were not right...or so I thought until I started reading your beautiful and colorful blog. LIFE IN COLOR....that just about sums it up.

xo annie

sohirach said...

LOVE.


love, rach.
www.so--hi.blogspot.com

Camilla said...

Cushions are the thing I end up spending most of the time justifying the price of to my clients. Maybe even more time than on kitchens & sofas!

decush said...

I just love cushions, you can never have too many. Especially ones made from beautiful designer fabrics with fringes and down inserts... I want a sunken lounge without the lounge, just cushions.