Thursday 11 September 2008

Pia's Absolutely Favourite Things





Beautiful, talented and super kind Pia Jane Bijkerk is an inspiring Australian stylist, photographer, writer and blogger {wow she's one busy girl} currently based in Amsterdam with her 'French boy' {French for lover}. Pia and French boy live on a houseboat in one of the beautiful canals in Amsterdam - how exotic!! I was recently lucky enough to meet this talented multi-tasking woman and her French Boy in a city we both love, Paris. I'm sure our blogging friendship will endure for a very long time and I hope she finally fulfills her dream of one day returning home to Australia to live!! Let's see what Pia is absolutely crazy about!!

"I was very inspired by your request for a few of my favourite things and found myself collecting little treasures from my various travels ever since you asked me. As a stylist, I find I have phases of 'object love' and at the moment I am finding so much inspiration in handmade ceramics. As it turns out, all these pieces come from the three cities that hold my heart (and that I call home) - Paris, Amsterdam, and Sydney. And as wonderful luck would have it, today was a gorgeous sunny day here in Amsterdam,casting a lovely soft haze across my vignette and making it the perfect opportunity to capture 'a few of my absolutely favourite things'. I think it looks a bit like Polaroid which I love!

Anna, do you remember when we met in Paris a couple of months ago, I had a little parcel of handmade ceramics that I had just purchased? I found them in the quaintest little boutique in the backstreets of Le Marais, and ever since then I have had a penchant for little ceramic vessels to add to my new collection. So last week when I was in Sydney I had a chance to take a quick trip to Paddington Markets, one of my favourite market places in the world (I have a few favourite market places, but this one is definitely in my top 5!) - I spotted the stall of ceramicist Samantha Robinson. I used to use her pieces as props when I was styling in Sydney, and it was great to stumble upon her work again, I couldn't resist taking a few pieces home with me (they are the little hand printed espresso cups in the front right of the photo). And back in Amsterdam this morning I visited one of my most treasured ceramic stores, Vivian Hann's on the Harlemmerdijk. Everything here is from these special boutiques. Each piece brings a smile to my face, and I love picking them up every now and then and feeling their rough and smooth textures. And yes, every now and then, for special occasions and when we have guests, we use them. But for now, this is where they sit, on a shelf, in 'le petit bateau' in Amsterdam."


I must say I love the simplicity of these pieces so much and I do love the story behind them too! Thank you for sharing your collection of things with us Pia!

'Absolutely Favourite Things' will appear here every Thursday so stay tuned.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful! I love Pia's work and often visit her blog. I'm also a big fan of handmade ceramics. I'm loving this series Anna. x

Shelby said...

THANK YOU for turning me onto Pia! She has amazing work and is very inspiring! xo

mondocherry said...

Love those ceramic letters and their styling.
Clare

blah said...

Pia - beautiful as always :-)

I love how the colours match Anna's blog background - was it intentional?

:-)

Anna - I'm thoroughly enjoying this Thursday series :-)

hugs and smiles to both of you

Love felicity

Unknown said...

Thanks girls!! Felicity, it was indeed intentional! I love Anna's beautiful vibrant background :-) xx

Style Court said...

i like the soft polaroid quality too. a perfect fit for these objects.

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks everyone! And if you want to see more shots of Pia's vignette head on over to her blog as she has posted some more gorgeous photos! Thanks Pia!!
xx
Anna

Sara Bradshaw said...

Gorgeous.