Monday 22 September 2008

More Straddie Pics...


This is the main bedroom - I used an old cane bed head I found which I painted blue and the shades on the lamps are made in a new floral fabric I love. I threw lots of patterned cushions on the bed which I dressed with a plain white quilt. The bedside tables are white painted timber with basket drawers - perfect of the beach.


Here is one of the flower arrangements I did in an old blue and white jug. I placed it into a vignette on the big old white sideboard I have in the dining area. Note the India Hicks candle - one of my favourite scented candles.


This is the little shelf Harry and I had fun filling with bits and pieces found from around the Island and some pretty jars from the back of a cupboard.





Harry and I went over to Straddie late last week to get the house ready for some tenants arriving. I also had my handyman come over to do some bits and pieces around the place which was SO great. He hung the little old printer's shelf I found at one of my favourite junk shops on the wall above the blue inlay chest on the back deck. Harry and I scouted around the Island looking for things to fill it with. We found shells, stones, bits of wood, dried fern leaves, dried seed pods and a few little jars I had hidden away in the cupboard.

When visitors/tenants are coming to stay at the house I love to fill it with fresh flowers & foliage which I pick from the middle of the island....usually I pick lots of pretty Banksia and other Australian natives which I place into big vases. I do it in the hope that it makes the people staying feel special. I also love to leave little luxuries around for the visitors to use. For example I leave lots of beautiful candles, a pretty set of place mats and napkins so that they can entertain their family & friends on the back deck, pretty soap in the bathroom etc. etc. I like to make it the way I would like it if I was renting the house. Anyway, I received a lovely text from the visitors staying in the house at the moment saying how lovely it all was and they particularly loved the fresh flowers. So all the hard work does pay off in the end!! Please email me anna@blackandspiro.com.au for enquiries about renting the house for a holiday.

I have posted some more images above as I have been asked by readers to share some more pics.

35 comments:

Ness Lockyer said...

Oh Anna. I love your Straddie house. Where did you get the little red cushions from, or are they from B&S? I love your blue and white ginger jar collection, I will hae to group mine together now...it looks great! BTW, congrats on the Martha feature. Ness xx

Heidi said...

I love your beach house and I can't wait to come for my families long awaited holiday next year. Thanks, Heidi

Sharnel said...

What beautiful photos. I especially love the bedhead and bedside lamps.
The little curio box/shelf is gorgeous too.

mondocherry said...

I'm sure all your extra work is very much appreciated - I love staying in a holiday house where the owner has made a special effort, and you obviously go above and beyond! Thanks for the photo of your printer's tray. I have one hanging on my wall which has been empty for a while, and I have been looking for some inspiration to fill all the little holes. I will get my kids to look out for some beachy finds on our upcoming holidays and it will make a lovely change from the vintage bits and bobs I previously had in it.
Clare

Anastasia said...

it looks amazing Anna!! id be too afraid my boys would break something!! haha!
we've booked Chevron Renaissance at GoldCoast for January...cant wait!!

vicki archer said...

You are a true home maker Anna - a woman after my own heart.

Anna Spiro said...

Hi Ness - yes I had them made from some fabric we stock and Black & Spiro!! Thanks for your lovely comment! Oh and yes I did get your email...thank you!!
xx
Anna

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks Heidi!!
xx
Anna

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks Mondo - I'd love to see a pic of your printer's tray once it's done!! xxAnna

Anna Spiro said...

Oh no Anastacia - nothing in that house is too precious!! Everything has been done using up bits of furniture I've had or inexpensive pieces I've found in junk shops! Your boys would be welcome anytime! I'm sure you'll have fun on your holiday at the Gold Coast!
xx
Anna

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks Vicki - one of the most beautiful things about your book are the images of your house and all your beautiful vignettes etc. I know you are a girl after my heart too!!
xx
Anna

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks Vicki - one of the most beautiful things about your book are the images of your house and all your beautiful vignettes etc. I know you are a girl after my heart too!!
xx
Anna

gdaybeautiful said...

I was glad to see more pics of your Straddie house, I drooled over the ones you posted a while ago. As I used to go to Straddie on camping weekends as a kid I would love to go back, may I'll book your house for a special getaway!

Villa Anna said...

So so so so so lovely!

Anna :)

Brown Button Trading said...

Beautiful and delicious - but I would expect nothing less from you! - And I love your floral arrangements, who would have thought Australian natives could look so chic. Thanks for sharing your beautiful beach home x

porter hovey said...

Ohhh! Just love those lamp shades. They're just so fun.

Jessica Claire said...

gorgeous anna!

the bedroom is absolutely perfect for a beach house and I adore the lamp shades!

la la Lovely said...

So pretty. I just bought a little painted cup like the one in printer's tray. How funny. I love it. What a great idea putting all of those beauties together!

please sir said...

Love the bed and all your little wonderful delights!

Daniela Valdez said...

OMG That shelf is so amazing! I absolutely love it!!

Daniela Valdez said...

OMG That shelf is so amazing! I absolutely love it!!

Daniela Valdez said...

OMG That shelf is so amazing! I absolutely love it!!

Viera said...

Anna your Straddie holiday house is so delightful.
I hope you will not mind I've borrowed your great display shelf for my blog entry.

Talking with Tami said...

I loove how you design its so pretty!

Brilliant Asylum said...

Your lamp shades are killing me they are so pretty! I love all the little details--what a great place to vacation!

Earl Grey said...

my first visit. i found ur blog very inspirational and sweet!!! i'll follow ur ABT from Malaysia!

Project Ecoart said...

Stunning photos great for my new store! Thanks for sharing!

TIG said...

Anna, it's beautiful! Especially love the shelf filled so prettily, and the wonderful dresserscape beneath it.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Just lovely!! I would love to be a guest some day.

I love the arrangement you've made on the white shelf. I'll definitely have to save it for design inspiration...I love all of the beachy elements tucked in there!

lily-g said...

Hi Anna,
Your house at Straddie is gorgeous and you just put it together so beautifully, how lucky are your guests,I love collecting flowers and shells with lily too. x

Anna Spiro said...

Hi Judy, so lovely to hear from you! How was your trip??? I bet it was amazing!
xx
Anna

Porchlight Interiors said...

Just what I need - a week at your gorgeous Straddie house to recover from my week of camping! Its stunning Anna. Tracey x

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

LOVE it all, Anna!

Laura Venosa Verbena said...

Oh so glad I found your blog... love you pictures & your beach home..
xoxox Laura

Renae said...

ohhh...I would to visit! Beautiful.