Wednesday 26 March 2008

Mismatched Style


Peter Dunham images courtesy of Domino Magazine

The thing I really like about this room by U.S. Interior Designer Peter Dunham is that it is mismatched and looks lived in and even though he has used collections of things some people wouldn't dream of putting together it works and it creates a sense of personal style. Don't get me wrong there are some things in this room that I personally would never have in my own room but that's the point and that's what mismatched style is all about. Bringing together interesting fabrics, textures, furniture styles and accessories in one area or one room is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful and clever Interior Decorating styles. Anyone can pull together a range of plain linens and matching furniture pieces and in the right place I believe this look can be very stylish. However, bringing personality into a room and most importantly finding your client's personality and being able to create a room for your client which exudes their personal style is what only a very good Interior Designer/Decorator can do. What are your thoughts? What Interior Decorating style do you like? Who is your favourite Interior Designer/Decorator?

Windsor Smith Image Courtesy of Style Court

Another U.S. Designer who does this look so well is Windsor Smith as visable in the lounge room she created in her own home in the above image.

5 comments:

pve design said...

amy butler.
she appeals to the artist in me!

Style Court said...

Well, I do like layers. And Peter Dunham is among my top 5 or 6!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh, I completely agree, Anna. Doing something simple like starting from scratch with matching furniture and plain linens can be stylish, but it is also something most people can manage. It takes real creative genius to pull together a room that is more personal and representative of a lifetime of collections. That is tricky!

xo
Melissa

my little apartment said...

i love the mismatched look...i have so many different styles, i'd hate for my home to look too "matchy" or "done". my faves are Wary Meyers, Barrie Benson, Miles Redd, Jay Jeffers, and of course Kelly Wearstler.

Alkemie said...

I love mixing styles, wonderful post Anna! I recently did a post on Woodson & Rummerfield's - they're all about mixing very different pieces and styles.