Thursday 11 January 2007

Ilse Crawford - A Design Guru










I thought I would post today about world renowned designer Ilse Crawford. Ilse launched Elle Decor in London in 1989 and then did a stint at Donna Karan as Vice President of Home Products followed by becoming the head of department at the Eindhoven Design Academy in Holland - regarded by many as the best design school in the world - a post she still holds today. During this time Ilse also started her own design studio, Studioilse working for companies such as Waterford Crystal and Swarovski. Ilse dived into the deep end in 2003 when Soho House New York opened in the Meatpacking District - Crawford had never before designed a hotel interior before this - it was an immediate success. The ever multi-tasking Crawford has designed furniture and even written a few books. Her book, Home is Where the Heart is, is an intellectual and emotional study of what we consider home to be. Her first book, Sensual Home is, to many, a bible in the design world. What an inspiration this woman is. I have listed a few photos above of Ilse's work.

10 comments:

Style Court said...

Her book, Home Is Where the Heart Is, is very interesting.

Anna Spiro said...

Oh, yes Courtney I do have that book and it is very good - a different slant on design and life I felt. Not your usual design book.

Anonymous said...

Love the bathtub across from the bed - such a different concept (in my world, at least.)

Michele said...

When do I move in? Wow!

Michele said...

Another note: Your blog is my FAVORITE! You find absolutely beautiful things to share with the rest of us! Thank you!

Anna Spiro said...

Michele, thank you for your keen support. I am so thrilled that you consider ABT to be one of your favourites and thank you too for letting me know.

Anna

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I cannot wait to buy and read this book.
Out of these photos i like the kitchen the best.

design dna said...

love the loft. yum yum yum

Anna Spiro said...

Me too Amy!! Why is it that I just love so many things??

Anna

Anna Spiro said...

Just a further note to this post - the kitchend picture I listed is actually Ilse's own kitchen.